Skip to main content

Confessions of a Serial Dater

Hi my name is Lauren Johnson and I'm a recovering serial dater.

Leaving a life of constant affection, attention and affirmation from guys... I made the choice to be intentionally single for all of 2013. I don't know that I've ever been truly single for long. However, that depends on your definition of single.


I'm about to finish month two of the intentionally single life. One problem has been that I didn't make definite boundaries around what single meant to me. I only clarified that I didn't want to be in an exclusive, committed relationship and the rationale of that decision was simple: I tend to give my all in everything I do, especially relationships. I was constantly putting everything into the guy I was dating and often forgot about my own self and identity. By removing the guy I'm removing the distraction that keeps me from giving my all to myself and becoming the woman I am destined to be. 


I've learned a lot in these last two months. The desire for an exclusive relationship is currently not there, so that part has been easy. However, the desire and longing for attention and affection has become even more evident. 
Self-control and discipline do not come easy for me. My past is full of satisfying that longing for attention, affection and affirmation in any way possible without even consciously realizing it. The half thought out dating standards were always compromised with the lack of self-control and discipline to satisfy a desire. It's so easy to find myself getting flirtatious or wanting a guy to notice me. There are even days when I feel good about my outfit, how I look that day and just want to be seen. But why? Why do I need that affirmation? If I feel good before being seen I shouldn't need to fulfill the want of being seen. 


I don't have the most glamorous dating history. A problem for some time was that I didn't have a strong sense of my worth or value. It was a slow fade of losing that when I began to settle in order to satisfy. If there's one thing I've learned it is that we get what we tolerate and settling doesn't satisfy. For the longest time I blamed guys for making me feel like I was of no value or worth, not cherished or loved. Truth is, I allowed their actions which made me feel that way.


This month I've been tempted with a guy who has made great efforts in showing me attention and it's been a struggle. This particular guy was clear on my choice to be single for the year. When I say struggle, I mean choosing to have a moment of weakness to satisfy these desires, and then dealing with the aftermath later. If my past tells me anything it is that the aftermath is not worth it. I've been asked, "What if you find the guy you're supposed to be with this year?" I firmly believe if I find that man he will support me and do his best to make sure I stick to my commitment. I was only struggling with this guy because he started to fill the attention role.


Here is where I begin to redefine my singleness for the year. The problem with attention outside of commitment can be the intention or lack there of. A lesson I've learned: Attention can be flattering, but remember you're enough without it. Only accept genuine attention. Respect yourselves enough to see when a guy is using you as a distraction with no intention of commitment or sincere interest. The same can be applied in reverse: Don't turn guys into your distraction. If not ready to consider a lifelong commitment, better to avoid monopolizing another person's affections.

In our new digital world it can be easy to allow social media to fill gaps of loneliness. Don't bite the bait of boys who are passive with "liking" and "replying" to all your posts. This is one of my biggest pet peeves! Social media has impaired a man's intentional pursuit of a relationship. A real man will start intentional conversation.


I long for something that is genuine and real, full of passion and loyalty. I got in many relationships that shouldn't have started because of that longing. Part of me truly believed that once I found that person to spend forever with that life would get easier. To have someone by your side through everything would make things better than if you faced life alone. I couldn't wait on my fairy tale so I tried creating it on my own and forced it in some circumstances.


So here I am, two months in. I might have been able to stay technically single, but I've allowed attention to derail me from my focus. This single year is to invest in myself, an opportunity to refine my character and chart the course for who I want to be and what I want to accomplish.


Follow my journey on Twitter. @Lady_LaurenJ #Single2013





Comments

  1. Wow... Thank you so much for sharing, Lauren... for opening your heart with these confessions and similar experiences. I'm younger than you, and don't have any experience in "real" dating, but the craving of attention and being seen has definitely been a struggle of mine, as well. However, I never really realized it until reading this post. So, thank you. God has used you to show me more ways I need to grow and change. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago... December 14, 2012 Dear Friend, Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead. Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose si

What is church?

"Wait, you go to church?" Interesting to take note of the comments people make when they learn that I go to church. I still almost don't believe myself when I say I go to church. Never thought I'd step foot back in one let alone openly share that I go. I wouldn't want someone thinking I'm a judgmental, double-standard hypocrite!   What made me return to church? THE PEOPLE! Meeting awesome people in my every day life who happened to be part of a church. I suppose if they were part of a bowling league this post would be talking about how I now bowl...   They didn't have Christian jargon coming out of their mouth every other sentence. If that were the case my church PTSD would have shut the door immediately.   Their Instagram feeds showed real life rather than it being full of long prayers, scriptures and shots of their bible next to their coffee. They openly drank, said a curse word every now and then, made perverted jokes for fun... I mean th