Skip to main content

Surviving Labels


So many labels...  

Everyone searching for an identity... a way to find a sense of belonging. Or the labels people place on us so they can somehow make sense of us.

The very thing we use to relate to one another also divides us. An important distinction: the label itself isn't what divides us... rather, it's our judgements about the label.

The thing I can't stand about labels... they put us in a box.

We automatically cut ourselves off from experiences that can be magical. We miss out on connecting with incredible people. We rob ourselves from truly seeing and being with others.

To think that I almost passed on my husband because he used the word universe, was into stones, Buddha and astrology. Things the traditional church programmed me to have judgements towards.

The more I open my mind to see beyond my own judgements and thoughts about certain labels... the more I realize how often labels get in our way... the more more I ask myself, "Are we all really that different?"

We all want to be liked. We all long for relationship. We all fear not being accepted.

We are all in some way, surviving our identity... clinging to and steering clear of certain labels.

I struggle even using the label of God for how I relate to my spirituality. Truthfully that's solely rooted in my personal judgements towards the church who uses that word. At some point on my journey I changed that label to Universe... a much more edgy label that tends to be taboo in the church. Really though... it's just a friken' label and both mean the same thing to me.

So when I get the question of what would you call your belief system... I'm at a loss for how to even label that and for once I'm okay not giving an answer. I don't need that label, perhaps others just need it so they can figure out how to put me into their box of personal understanding. So label me what you want, it doesn't define me. Not everything in this world makes sense and there's so much freedom when you quit trying to "figure it out."

Maybe choosing no label is my way of trying to avoid wrongful judgement... because shit, I'm human and I want to belong and I want everyone to feel like they belong if they're in my presence.

All I know is I love people, connecting, being vulnerable, seeing the value in everyone no matter what the world wants to say about certain labels. Getting into the weeds of fundamental debate isn't something I care to spend my energy on. That's all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago... December 14, 2012 Dear Friend, Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead. Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose si

What is church?

"Wait, you go to church?" Interesting to take note of the comments people make when they learn that I go to church. I still almost don't believe myself when I say I go to church. Never thought I'd step foot back in one let alone openly share that I go. I wouldn't want someone thinking I'm a judgmental, double-standard hypocrite!   What made me return to church? THE PEOPLE! Meeting awesome people in my every day life who happened to be part of a church. I suppose if they were part of a bowling league this post would be talking about how I now bowl...   They didn't have Christian jargon coming out of their mouth every other sentence. If that were the case my church PTSD would have shut the door immediately.   Their Instagram feeds showed real life rather than it being full of long prayers, scriptures and shots of their bible next to their coffee. They openly drank, said a curse word every now and then, made perverted jokes for fun... I mean th