Skip to main content

Learning to Live

Call it a quarter-life crisis, but this year I've experienced, learned and grown more than any other time in my life. Losing my grandma has brought with it more than I ever could have imagined. So many questions about myself, life and the reality of my own mortality. That combined with what has been a long adjusting transition into the post-college real world - every perception was slowly shattered.

Through a self-loathing struggle I realized I was trying to live a life according to rules and expectations created by others. When I let all of that go it put me on the path to finding myself. I've never felt more free, inspired or alive. 

I'm 25, have a good career, but living with my parents and not saving money, preparing for retirement or getting married like everyone tells me to. I see it like this: I'm young, no mortgage, no kids... and most of all - tomorrow is never promised.

I've made the choice to do things I've always wanted to do like travel the world, explore and be adventurous. There are so many people with stories to be told, places to be seen and cultures to experience. I want to soak in everything about this life and how others choose to live it. If there's one thing I continue to learn it's that: You have your way and I have mine. As for the right way and only way, it does not exist. Embrace the diversity. I still have questions, but I've accepted I may never find the one true answer. I have no choice but to live a life that works for me. Perhaps that's why all of us are so different :)

So far this year, I spent New Years in Chicago and visited Baltimore and Salt Lake City. I'm most excited about my next two adventures of the year - Europe and West Coast. I'll be traveling to Prague, Venice, Malta and Madrid this summer. Then it is off to the West Coast from Seattle to San Diego road tripping and camping on beaches this fall. Aside from the big adventures I've been making more time to do the things I want like creating memories with awesome people. Being the selfless, people pleaser that I am - it has been a challenge but a huge area of growth and happiness in my life.

I'd like to end with a quote from someone's blog who has inspired me through these times:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago... December 14, 2012 Dear Friend, Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead. Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose si

What is church?

"Wait, you go to church?" Interesting to take note of the comments people make when they learn that I go to church. I still almost don't believe myself when I say I go to church. Never thought I'd step foot back in one let alone openly share that I go. I wouldn't want someone thinking I'm a judgmental, double-standard hypocrite!   What made me return to church? THE PEOPLE! Meeting awesome people in my every day life who happened to be part of a church. I suppose if they were part of a bowling league this post would be talking about how I now bowl...   They didn't have Christian jargon coming out of their mouth every other sentence. If that were the case my church PTSD would have shut the door immediately.   Their Instagram feeds showed real life rather than it being full of long prayers, scriptures and shots of their bible next to their coffee. They openly drank, said a curse word every now and then, made perverted jokes for fun... I mean th