Skip to main content

European Adventure: Part 3

Three and a half scorching days in Malta leaves my skin torched and sore. I've never felt the sun burn like that. 

Upon our late arrival a man was waiting with a sign that had my name on it. His name was Martin. We have a mutual friend, Paul, who I work with, that put us in touch. He was so kind and accommodating offering to give us a ride and answering our questions.   We walked outside where Martin's wife waited. It was my first time riding in a car with the steering wheel to the right and driving on the left side of the road. It was kind of trippy taking turns. 


A mutual friend of Sarah's let us stay in her home while she was on holiday, so we were headed to her flat. When we got to the street we realized we didn't have a house number, just a map. Things quickly turned into an island treasure hunt! In this case the potted plants marked the spot. Fortunately we found our way and ventured inside the flat. Let's just say walking into a stranger's home was, well.. Rather "strange" and invasive. Figuring out light switches, outlets, wifi and laundry took a little more time than usual. I'm not sure how many people would just leave a key to their house like that but it was a warm welcome. Everyone from Malta had been so generous. 

With our late arrival we did some laundry and went to sleep. It's the little things in life that get me excited like hanging clothes on the rooftop which was my first time ever drying my clothes on an outside clothesline! 

              The view from our rooftop.

When on an island the beach is a must. We ventured out into the sun still naive of its sting. After stopping to get some fresh fruit and snacks we attempted to catch a bus. Having no idea how the Arriva bus worked and at a stop with no schedules or map posted, we sat and waited. After having two buses pass us by that had a matching number to our stop we were clueless. We sat confused and unsure of what to do. Next thing you know a taxi pulls over and asks if we need a ride. Sweat dripping and the cool air coming from his window I desperately said yes without even negotiating a price. "We just want to go to a beach, anywhere close. Please," we said. The man was very friendly and we ended up at Golden Bay Beach. At last we could relax. 


There weren't as many boobies at this beach. Just girls rubbing sand all over each other. It was almost like an exfoliating sand bath. Definitely a sight to see as the one girl dropped handfuls of sand in the other's bikini bottoms. Of course I snapped an incognito photo!


After eating the juiciest, most incredible peach I doze off to music and crashing waves; true paradise. I'm not sure if it was the drool or near bubbling of my skin that awoke me. Two hours turned my skin into the pink panther. We gathered our things to leave unsure of how exactly to get home. We took a bus that put us a mile from our flat. That mile was the longest and hardest mile I have ever walked. The sun beating down piercing my skin, sweat dripping down my back and legs trembling with every step. I felt so weak and did not know how I would physically make it home. I followed Sarah like a helpless dog as she handed me a towel to hide from the sun and guided us home turn by turn. I'm not sure if I have ever pushed myself that hard. It was a true test of my physical perseverance. I had no choice but to keep going. I don't know how I didn't collapse. Walking through that door felt like the greatest victory followed by the epic fail of my sunscreen applying skills. I had the most random tan lines. Thinking I would just protect my usual burn areas of my face and shoulders I didn't apply sunscreen anywhere else. Also, I'm use to SPF oil, so I didn't do the best job at rubbing it in. My fingers made great tanlines along with some sand on my calves. 


Somehow I still managed to put myself together enough to go out for the evening. While waiting for a bus that never came I found what looked like a letter rolled up between two stones on a wall. Out of curiousty I decided to see what it was thinking it could be a receipt or maybe a grocery list. It was actually a love poem about a romance that started on the bus dated November 2012. The letter was an intriguing find and I found myself making up a whole love story around it.


Since the bus never came we just decided to walk to an area known for nightlife, Paceville. None of the restaurants really sparked our fancy but we chose one and sat on the patio with the cool evening breeze. We were bombarded by people passing out buy one get one drink coupons. After dinner we thought we would check out some of the places. They all were way too clubby. Everyone around seemed to be so much younger with the drinking age at 18. One place was empty so we thought we would use our coupon for a good deal so we could use the bathroom, win win. Well the bathrooms were disgusting and there was no toilet paper. In that moment we realized how grown up we felt and took a trashy mirror pic to reminisce on the days of almost breaking our ankles in heels with hopes of turning heads from the douchiest boys without the slightest clue of how to treat a lady. We have graduated to appreciating moments with close friends and meaningful conversation. No more randos creeping up behind you on the dance floor!


Considering it hurt to do anything, the next day was spent inside applying lotion every hour on the hour. It was a chill day resting. The downtime made me think of home and I was able to Skype my parents. So often we want to escape. Maybe that's our way of resetting and learning to appreciate home. So you see, traveling brings with it more than experiencing other cultures, new scenery and relaxing away from every day life. Another reason I love traveling. 

Sarah and I had snacks and wine on the rooftop one evening. We saw the Big Dipper and Orion's Belt. What looked like a UFO floating in the sky was just a cruise ship. Mat Kearney's song "Ships in the Night" played in my head. Spending this much time with someone you really get to know each other. Sarah and I talked about the way people just come in and out of your life. We went to college together and would hang out occasionally but didn't really get to know one another until she moved across the world. This trip leaves me grateful for the time I've spent getting to know Sarah more. Sometimes people are only in our lives for a season and it's up to us to embrace the moments with them.


It's been real Malta. Now it is time for Spain!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago... December 14, 2012 Dear Friend, Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead. Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose si

Broken & Searching

So much has changed since I finished college and entered the grown up world of responsibility, independence and working to make a living. Many things are not how I once perceived them to be. No invincibility, forever young or one way of living. I like to think of it as the curtain getting pulled on the Wizard of Oz. Death Life Society Faith Experiencing the feeling that I was about to die during an ER visit and losing my grandma have drastically changed my perspectives on life and death. That in return has created lots of questions about how life even began and its purpose. How did I even get on this earth? Why am I here? What happens when we die? Some have different answers, others just accept there may not be one definite. I always went with the answer that God created man and after serving Him in this life we would have eternal life in heaven. I grew up in the church, but I can't honestly tell you what I even believed all of those years. I accepted everything I was t