Skip to main content

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago...

December 14, 2012
Dear Friend,

Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead.

Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose sight of who you are and stop chasing your dreams. Society has a way of asking us all questions. Sometimes “just because” or “I don’t know” are the best answers.

The world has a way of telling us how things should be or how they should happen. But no two situations are the same, so stop comparing and seeking advice from someone’s similar situation to try to make sense of it all. Life is meant to be lived, not figured out.

Life is the sum of the chances we take and the moments we seize. So take chances and embrace every minute. Don’t wait for death or tragedy to remind you how precious this life is. Life can change in a moment. The only guarantee is just this very moment – live it to its fullest. Your enemy could become your best friend, your best friend your enemy. Never make proclamations because you never know what’s coming.

The person on the sidewalk, the person sitting across from you, the person standing in line behind you – everyone has a story and every story is unique. Just because someone’s actions don’t make sense to you doesn’t make them wrong, so quit judging based on your way of living. We all see life through a different lens.

Life is full of cliché sentiments: Be the change you wish to see in the world…everything happens for a reason. They float along like butterflies until the moment you are most vulnerable – the moment you need their wisdom. Then they make sense and become real. Find the beauty in everything – heartbreak is impossible without love, loss is meaningless without value, failure can’t exist without courage, and unemployment is a gap between life experiences. Accept this and you will find an unexplainable joy. Attitude is everything and positivity is all that is worth putting into the world.

It may sound like I’m dying when I’m only moving an hour away. My goal in life is to be selfless and touch the lives of as many people as possible – even in slight measures. I don’t want to miss the opportunity to tell each and every one of you how grateful I am for you and to leave a piece of me with you.

I know without a doubt our paths have crossed for a reason. God has put everyone in my life for a purpose – large or small. I am who I am today and I am where I am because of each of you. Since I came to Northern Kentucky two and a half years ago it has been the best chapter of my life. I’ve made friendships that will last a lifetime and memories that I will forever cherish. As we go our separate ways I challenge each of you to stay true to your values. Don’t conform or get caught up in the status quo. There aren’t many genuine, good-hearted people in the world. Be one. Life can be cruel and it is easy to get caught up.

No matter how long I’ve known you or how many memories we’ve shared, I love you and will always do anything for you. That’s just who I am. To be selfless means you may get walked on and hurt sometimes, but to be anything less wouldn’t be me.

Lastly, I wouldn’t be staying true to my values and beliefs if I didn’t profess my love for my savior, Jesus Christ. We all have our own beliefs and I will never push mine on anyone. But to not be open about mine with all of you wouldn’t be right. The joy I have and share comes from the Lord. He is my strength and he has led me to where I am now and blessed me with each and every one of you.

I love you.

Lauren


This letter captures the very essence of my perspective on life. I think I lost a little bit of my wisdom through the trials of this last year. Finding this letter was like being encouraged by myself. Total twilight zone! In case you were wondering... those friendships that were near to my heart are still just as strong as when I lived in Northern Kentucky. They have taught me: the friends that matter will always be there.

Comments

  1. Wow... Thank you so much for sharing that part of your heart. So encouraging. <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

What is church?

"Wait, you go to church?" Interesting to take note of the comments people make when they learn that I go to church. I still almost don't believe myself when I say I go to church. Never thought I'd step foot back in one let alone openly share that I go. I wouldn't want someone thinking I'm a judgmental, double-standard hypocrite!   What made me return to church? THE PEOPLE! Meeting awesome people in my every day life who happened to be part of a church. I suppose if they were part of a bowling league this post would be talking about how I now bowl...   They didn't have Christian jargon coming out of their mouth every other sentence. If that were the case my church PTSD would have shut the door immediately.   Their Instagram feeds showed real life rather than it being full of long prayers, scriptures and shots of their bible next to their coffee. They openly drank, said a curse word every now and then, made perverted jokes for fun... I mean th