Skip to main content

Full Circle: I am where I am supposed to be

Today marks one year that I’ve been Stewardship Officer for Sinclair Community College. One year is a big deal for me. I was blessed enough to have paid internships all through college, so I was changing positions every semester. I couldn’t exactly control losing my first job out of college after eight months. So this one year is the longest I’ve worked somewhere. To look back and see all the steps it took to get here is overwhelming. I’ve heard it said many times, “You end up in places you never thought you’d be.”

Today traces all the way back to my last year of high school six years ago. Long-time lover of writing and the sports editor of the city paper at that time, I was set on a journalism degree. I chose Bowling Green State University and even had a journalism scholarship. It was an exciting time coordinating with a roommate to pick out dorm room décor and getting a class schedule. My life came to a sudden halt after a dreadful call that my “health insurance waiver” was declined. BGSU had some “health insurance policy” and if you declined the university’s insurance you had to submit your own plan. The school felt that my health insurance was inadequate and declined my admission to the school unless I purchased their plan.

The tears were endless thinking about all my friends going off to college while I was to stay in Dayton and attend “community college.” (In hindsight my negative attitude towards community college couldn't have been more off. I had a great experience). I am all about justice, so I did work with Channel 2 news and a state representative to draft a house bill that would prevent other state universities from having the right to dictate health insurance plans. I even got to testify at the state house! That was a neat experience for the resume that later sparked lots of interest during interviews for positions.

All of that lead me to Sinclair Community College. At this point I thought I wanted to dabble in sports journalism or public relations. I interviewed for a position with the Dayton Dragons and was devastated when I didn’t get it. A professor of mine said he knew of a great opportunity for me to intern for the Sinclair Foundation. I interviewed and was hired! During my time as an intern I interviewed scholarship recipients to tell their story to donors and helped create the school’s first student fundraising campaign (Students Support Sinclair – S3).

After graduation I was ecstatic to go to a four-year school and experience college away from home and dorm life (that part wasn’t all it was cracked up to be). I accomplished a lot in my two years at Northern Kentucky University. I held a leadership role in Delta Zeta Sorority. I became the president of Public Relations Student Society of America and helped improve transfer student orientation through my position in Student Government Association. That’s not including the four internships I also did during that time, but if you really care just look at my LinkedIn.

I was one of the few to graduate college with a job, but after eight months I was back to square one. With my apartment lease ending and no income I knew I had to move back to Dayton where my parents would provide shelter. Moving back to Dayton was the last thing I saw myself doing (see previous post). Bored to death with unemployment I thought I could take some classes at Sinclair to occupy my time while job searching. I also thought I could volunteer in the office where I interned since I enjoyed it so much. I sent an email updating everyone on where life had taken me and offered my services. Within days I was sitting in the office of the Vice President for Advancement where she offered me a part-time position. After three months I was hired full time. 

Keep in mind no part of me wanted to stay in Dayton. All my job searching was in Nashville because I wanted to work in the music industry. Everything was a dead end. However, I did get hired to work at Space Camp in Izmir, Turkey. I would have been a camp counselor to kids all over the world for the summer. I declined the offer when Sinclair hired me full time. I struggled with that decision thinking I was growing up too fast.

Interesting fact: Just last week a student emailed me saying he got the position at Space Camp that I told him about and will be going to Turkey this summer. His passion is space and aviation. Now I know why I found Space Camp but ended up staying at Sinclair. What a perfect fit and opportunity for this student. A beautiful confirmation that I am where I am supposed to be.

Another interesting fact: One of the first projects I worked on at Sinclair was handling the sponsorship we had with the Dayton Dragons. I worked closely with the same person who interviewed me for the job I didn’t get but lead me to the internship in the office that I now work in. Oh, and one of the biggest projects I work on each year is the student fundraising campaign that I helped create! How is that for another beautiful confirmation that I am where I am supposed to be.

Now here I am. This job is such a blessing and full of wonderful opportunities. I get to take classes for free and just started accounting to gain some basic knowledge. Sinclair pays for my master’s degree that I will start in the fall at Wright State; a master’s degree that is the perfect foundation to my dream of founding a nonprofit. I have superb vacation time that allows me to fulfill my desire to travel. Not to mention the brilliant people I am able to work alongside.

Life is full of those moments that make no sense. Then that full circle moment comes and you see all the "no sense moments" accumulate into something beautiful. I am where I am supposed to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago... December 14, 2012 Dear Friend, Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead. Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose si

Broken & Searching

So much has changed since I finished college and entered the grown up world of responsibility, independence and working to make a living. Many things are not how I once perceived them to be. No invincibility, forever young or one way of living. I like to think of it as the curtain getting pulled on the Wizard of Oz. Death Life Society Faith Experiencing the feeling that I was about to die during an ER visit and losing my grandma have drastically changed my perspectives on life and death. That in return has created lots of questions about how life even began and its purpose. How did I even get on this earth? Why am I here? What happens when we die? Some have different answers, others just accept there may not be one definite. I always went with the answer that God created man and after serving Him in this life we would have eternal life in heaven. I grew up in the church, but I can't honestly tell you what I even believed all of those years. I accepted everything I was t