Skip to main content

What is Truth?



Lately I have been thinking about the concept of truth. In fact, this entire blog that started in 2012 has been a documentation of my journey searching for meaning and truth. While my posts have not been consistent they are a beautiful reminder of how I continue to navigate this thing called life!

Flooded by the ever increasing noise of social media and content I became conflicted, unsure who to trust or what to believe. I found myself questioning what and who I should allow to influence my belief structure which has been an ongoing journey since I originally left the church in 2013 only to return a second time in 2017. My perspectives had evolved and I landed on a belief of coexisting so I thought I would try to reintegrate my upbringing. A lifelong program of repeating what I was taught and 7 years of deep questioning have led me to the ultimate choice that organized religion is not for me. Without it I am closer to a force greater than myself.

I have found that our greatest teachers are silent. It is what we find within that propels us on journey of personal truth. Truth is dynamic, unique to a specific context of variables within a present moment and represented by the individual consciousness of that moment. A moment that can never be recreated. A world full of duality, the grass is never greener — contrast, a teacher. An energetic force that flows like the river, moving in and around nature. It doesn’t stop when a tree falls, rather it finds a new path. It does not know human personification.

It is in the moments of not forcing or searching that seem to create serendipitous encounters where we find others beautifully living out their own truth — no fear of right or wrong. It’s in these moments where we are ignited in our truth that it feels like an epiphany so high you want to share it with the world. It can become a projection of desiring others to feel or believe the same way — a movement of missionaries. It is where we find religion, a man made construct that has resulted in fear tactics, control and divisiveness. It creates a world with dogmatic rules of morality.

Our human design longs to share enlightenment and to find external factors of validation. That beautiful serendipitous moment of a soul feeling a divine connection then turned into a controlled recipe to share with others. A sincere intention, but alas — the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

In the comparison of our truth to others we create a battle, losing our connection within. A divisiveness that says I am right and you are wrong. I am here not to project my truth onto others, but to find joy in the curiosity of what gives others purpose so that together we can rejoice in their peace.

I believe the greatest gift we can give to others is the experience of being heard, for it is that validation we so badly want. Let us empower one another in our unique truths because after all, we are all one and the illusion of this physical experience is that our truths are different. I can have my truth while you have yours, neither is right and neither is wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago... December 14, 2012 Dear Friend, Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead. Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose si

What is church?

"Wait, you go to church?" Interesting to take note of the comments people make when they learn that I go to church. I still almost don't believe myself when I say I go to church. Never thought I'd step foot back in one let alone openly share that I go. I wouldn't want someone thinking I'm a judgmental, double-standard hypocrite!   What made me return to church? THE PEOPLE! Meeting awesome people in my every day life who happened to be part of a church. I suppose if they were part of a bowling league this post would be talking about how I now bowl...   They didn't have Christian jargon coming out of their mouth every other sentence. If that were the case my church PTSD would have shut the door immediately.   Their Instagram feeds showed real life rather than it being full of long prayers, scriptures and shots of their bible next to their coffee. They openly drank, said a curse word every now and then, made perverted jokes for fun... I mean th