Skip to main content

2013: A Year of Growth & Happiness

So here we are. Another year has passed. Like a caterpillar struggling in a cocoon as it grows to become a beautiful butterfly, 2013 brought me great growth and true happiness.

I was bound by a religious upbringing that had conditioned me to think a certain way and forced me in a particular direction. I allowed the fears imploded by religion to steal my freedom of independent thinking. It turned into a self-loathing struggle of which way was right and how to avoid being damned to “hell.”

I was challenged to rebuild my belief system and values. Overwhelmed by the diversity of this world, I felt lost and unsure of who I was or what I believed. I was afraid to draw one conclusion about life and all its questions  what if I was wrong? I felt fear and anxiety in uncertainty. It was a battle of thoughts versus feelings where every essence of my being longed for certainty and truth that could no longer be found in my religious upbringing.

So the search began, in many forms – I traveled the world, read books, met new people, had several conversations. My thoughts started to burst out of control. I slowed down to realize all thought is based on the past as a response to experience and knowledge stored as memory. Once I was able to let go of all that was in the past my cocoon began to crack open. Growth cannot take place through mere reasoning and discussions. Growth happens only when you feel intensely – when your thoughts and your feelings find harmony amongst each other.

It was only with an open mind that I was able to see beauty in everything. I was able to see beyond the labels of society, religion, and politics. It was then that I was no longer overwhelmed by diversity and discovered the parallels in labels. I was drawn to things that I identified with like psychology and philosophy. Basic psychology tells us that we can achieve if we believe – there is power in the mind. In that I can connect thoughts to what Christians call prayer to what others might call meditation. So why does just one have to be right? Labels of society are driven by enticements, by beliefs, by substitutes. In that there is only an illusion of happiness and truth.

What is happiness? What is truth?

For some it is the identification with a particular dogma, political or religious belief. Maybe it is in the reminiscing of experiences we’ve known, in love once shared.

For me – it is an open mind, without fear, freed from illusion, always seeking growth through the harmony of my present thoughts and feelings not blemished by anything of the past. And so my heart is full, that I may not judge, but love and accept all that is – the world and its abundant diversity.
“To be free of all authority, of your own and that of another, is to die to everything of yesterday, so that your mind is always fresh, always young, innocent, full of vigor and passion. It is only in that state that one learns and observes. And for this, a great deal of awareness is required, actual awareness of what is going on inside yourself, without correcting it or telling it what it should or should not be, because the moment you correct it you have established another authority, a censor.” -Jiddu Krishnamurti

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncensored: Losing My Faith

Losing my faith didn't happen overnight. It’s been a long process of self-loathing, tug of war, hot and cold, on and off. I remember conversations with friends who aren't believers. They didn't give me one solid reason why. I remember questioning them in shock and horror like wow I can’t believe you don’t believe. When they shared their arguments and questions I came back at them with what I call cliché sentiments of “religious spit.” THEM: So you’re saying anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the savior and acknowledges it devoting their life to serving Him will go to hell? All the people in the world, all the other religions are wrong. ME: Yes. That’s what the bible says and the bible is truth. THEM: Why do you believe the bible is truth? It was written centuries ago by MAN, parts of it left out and translated over time. ME: Well yes God spoke through men to write it. I said all of those things because that’s what I was surrounded by and heard my whole l

An Old Letter

When I moved back to Dayton a year ago I struggled with having to leave friends. When I left Dayton for college all those friendships in Dayton faded. I started over in my new home of Northern Kentucky and when I had to leave these friends the fear of them not going the extra mile to maintain our friendship terrified me. I left them all with a letter that I haven't read since then. I just found it and wanted to share. What a coincidence, exactly 13 months ago... December 14, 2012 Dear Friend, Do what you love. Do what makes you happy, the rest will follow. What you love and what makes you happy now could change and probably will change, but that’s OK. It just means you’re growing. Often times you outgrow people. Learn to accept it, let go and remember you’ll always take a piece of them with you. Smile and reflect on the memories but don’t consume yourself with them, there are many more ahead. Don’t conform to the ways of the world or societal norms. That’s when you lose si

Confessions of a Serial Dater

Hi my name is Lauren Johnson and I'm a recovering serial dater. Leaving a life of constant affection, attention and affirmation from guys... I made the choice to be intentionally single for all of 2013. I don't know that I've ever been truly single for long. However, that depends on your definition of single. I'm about to finish month two of the intentionally single life. One problem has been that I didn't make definite boundaries around what single meant to me. I only clarified that I didn't want to be in an exclusive, committed relationship and the rationale of that decision was simple: I tend to give my all in everything I do, especially relationships. I was constantly putting everything into the guy I was dating and often forgot about my own self and identity. By removing the guy I'm removing the distraction that keeps me from giving my all to myself and becoming the woman I am destined to be.  I've learned a lot in these last two months. The des